Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Rabbit fricassee


polenta and rabbit
Originally uploaded by EatingVideo
For dinner yesterday I made a fricassee of rabbit, in which I also mixed in some chicken (as I didn't have as much rabbit as I thought.)
I started by browning the chicken and rabbit in the same pot I planned on cooking them in. then removed them.

protein

I then rendered some lardo (which added a ton of flavor and a good deal of salt so the dish really didn't need any extra.) and two tablespoons of flour to make a roux.

roux with lardo

I cooked it on low heat till it was good and brown. I returned the chicken and rabbit to the pan and added some store bought sofrito, (which is basically onions, garlic, pepper, cilantro, parsley, oregano salt and pepper, so you can make your own but this stuff is pretty good.)

sofrito

and I added a tablespoon of tahini on a whim for a thicker more interesting sauce

tahini

I added white wine almost to cover and a tablespoon of capers, and a handfull of small carrots. I brought it to a boil and then simmered it for an hour. I added two pinches of sugar as I thought it was a bit on the acid side.

mixed stew

I pan fried some polenta slices (I bought one of those premade polenta logs from the grocery store... still haven't bought corn meal)
and served it.

polenta and rabbit

The rabbit was great and the sauce was rich and thick which worked great with the polenta. I think the tahini as a thickening agent did a nice job adding depth of flavor to the roux.

No comments: