Monday, July 26, 2010

Carrot Corn in Pesto Side dish


side dish
Originally uploaded by EatingVideo
We needed to take a dish to our summer league swim team banquet, I went with a cold side dish to beat the 105 deg heat. I had just seen a recent episode of The Perennial Plate and made a similar dish.
Ingredients
Two bunches of carrots with leaves
the same amount in volume of baby corn
For Pesto
4 cloves of garlic
1 cup or more of basil
the carrot leaves cleaned
2 tablespoons of toasted sunflower seeds
1/4 cup of olive oil
2 tablespoons Sherry wine vinegar
Salt and Pepper to taste

The carrots and corn I cooked in salted water

Carrots

I cooled the corn and carrots in ice water, then I cut the carrots to the appoximate size of the corn.
I cleaned and sorted the carrot greens

carrot greens

and the basil

basil

And pureed it in the food processor with the rest of the ingredients

blender

I then combined corn, carrot and pesto in a bowl and placed in the refrigerator. We took it to the party and it all disappeared.

carrot and corn in pesto

The Perennial Plate Episode is below, a great, interesting video log of a year of sustainable eating in Minnesota.

The Perennial Plate Episode 19: Summer Vegetables from Daniel Klein on Vimeo.


No comments: