Monday, July 28, 2008

Achiote

I think I just mastered making yellow rice. This would be the puerto rican version, which can be part of arroz con pollo or eaten, as I did with some peas. My ongoing error has been skimping on the achiote. This time around a added about a half cup of achiote to one cup of vegetable oil (I thought about using olive oil but I wanted to have a straight achiote flavor and color).
I put this on the stove on medium till the oil was red in color. About 7-10 minutes. (care should be taken not to burn the achiote as it can be bitter)

Aceite de achiote

I strained the oil into a glass decanter.

For the rice I used my usual recipe of 1 measure of rice to 2 of water, salt to taste (ocean) and 2 cloves of garlic mashed. I usually add 2 tbsp of oil, but here I added the achiote oil.
The rice had a beautiful yellow color and the achiote taste I was expecting. I added some green peas and dinner was on.

No comments: