Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Fried Sea Bass With Tostones


Final presentation
Originally uploaded by chuborupert
I bought two whole black sea bass at Whole Foods this afternoon. I originally went in there to get some supplies for a Hot Pot... got some, but these fish caught my eye. One of my favorite dishes is whole fried fish, specifically the criollo version. The Thai have a version as do the Chinese and likely most cultures that live close to a body of water. The Dominican version is basically the same. Having said that I don't think I have ever cooked it myself although I have eaten it multiple times. I served it with tostones which are twice cooked green plantains, also there was a side of black beans and rice. Here goes the recipe:
two whole cleaned sea bass (or other mid to small size firm white fleshed fish) (The fish monger cut the tails and fins off which I wouldn't do in the future as I like the crispy parts)
Rub:
4 cloves of garlic
2 black peppercorns
tablespoon of salt (I used kosher)
1/4 of fresh parsley
1/4 cup of fresh cilantro
(you can substitute rather freely here dry or fresh herbs to your liking)
half a lime juiced
1 teaspoon of cumin

breading
1/4 cup of flour
1 tablespoon corn starch
1 teaspoon garlic salt

put all the rub ingredients into a mortar and beat into a paste
Score the fish in a croshatch pattern and rub inside and out
whole fish
including the head
I think he has felt better
Let sit in the fridge for a least 20 min but I wouldn't leave it much longer than 4 hrs.
pat dry and flour with the breading mix, try to get the flour in the crosshatch pattern
In a deep fryer or fry pan fry at 375-400 deg till golden brown and crispy along the edges
ying + yang
Serve while warm,
garnish with lime wedges. and eat it
Fried sea bass close

1 comment:

Borinkeando said...

Que rico se ve ese pescado ! humm