Friday, November 28, 2008

Coquito


cocos
Originally uploaded by chuborupert
Coquito is the puertorican equivalent of eggnog. It is generally drunk around the holidays. Tradicionally it is made with eggs (like eggnog) but I grew up making it this way. At my parents house I would have harvested and peeled the coconut myself. These I bought at the supermarket. Cracked and cleaned them.

Microplane and coconut

I used to clean the meat with a knife and a lot of patience but I discovered that a microplane works great. It is reccomended that you bake the coconut at 350 or 400 deg F for 5-10 minutes to make it easier to remove the meat. I tried but maybe I left it in too short of time, as I was afraid the meat would brown. Anyways cleaning the coconut meat off the shell is the most time consuming part of the deal.

The work area

I then grated the coconut in the food processor

Rallado

I had reserved the coconut water and made a simple syrup with it adding nutmeg, cinamon and clove

agua de coco

I added the coconut to this

coconut in the coconut

I then added water to cover and brought it to a boil.

creamy

From here I strained it, and put the coconut in a rag to press it. the remaining coconut milk I mixed half and half with rum and set to chill. Will drink later.

No comments: