Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Monkfish and Cauliflower Gratin - Date Night


Finished product
Originally uploaded by chuborupert
Another date night. This time I found some monkfish at the supermarket. I also bought some large freshwater shrimp. (hard shelled) I cut the fish into 2 inch pieces, And salted and peppered them.

monkfish and shrimp

I picked up a small cauliflower, (my son saw it on the counter and stopped suddenly... "Is that a brain?")

is that a brain

I blanched the cauliflower in salted boiling water (around 4 minutes) and shocked it in cold water, the sectioned it and put it in individual serving dishes.

blanched

I then added sauted onion and garlic, grated gruyere cheese, heavy cream (actually crema mexicana), nutmeg, a small bit of parmesan and bread crumbs. and broiled it.

The monkfish I seared on a pan with the shrimp, and some onions. I had hoped to have them all cook pretty equally time wise but the monkfish was still too thick so I removed the shrimp while the monkfish finished. I added more garlic,

garlic

a bit of chopped rosemary deglazed the pan with some water and then added some butter.

cooking the monkfish

A quick word on butter... I bought some fancy butter, never have before, it is outstanding as a stand alone product, not that I endorse eating butter right off the stick, but you have to taste it to understand. creamy almost cheese like. I think I'm ruined.

good butter

Ok back to the dish I plated the fish and shrimp

Fish and Shrimp

And served the cauliflower alongside

Finished product

The final product was very tasty. The fish turned out great, the portions where very reasonable (something I typically have trouble with). I probably would bake the cauliflower rather than blanch it next time as it cooled quickly, with only the broiler to brown it. Try it out.

No comments: