Monday, January 18, 2010

Potato Soup


soup
Originally uploaded by EatingVideo
My wife really likes potato soup and I make it once or twice a winter, it keeps well frozen. My recipe changes a bit each time but I don't think I've totally screwed it up yet.

I typically use a ham stock, this time I boiled 4 smoked ham hocks with an onion, 3 garlic cloves, pepper, and a carrot.
I made the stock the day before and the next day I cut up the ham hocks

soup

I tried toasting the skin over some day old bread with only fair results (I was hoping for something like a pork rind but they stayed kinda gummy the bread was good though)

soup

I boiled some russet potatos (I usually cook around 1-1/2 per person which guarantees a lot of leftovers)

soup

I roasted the the same volume of yukon gold potato cut up with the ham hock

soup

I put together the soup by pureing the russet potato in the ham stock with a bit of cream, then added the roasted potato, ham, and a big crouton from the failed pork rind incident. The result...

soup

1 comment:

Sazón Boricua said...

esa sopa de papas se riquísima!! que buena oportunidad de que se pueda comprar hasta por internet, verdad? Si tienes la oportunidad comprate un jamoncito Ibérico es sabroso!!