Saturday, January 23, 2010

Pig head two ways (part 2)


pig head
Originally uploaded by EatingVideo
Ok the second head I boned out,

boning

much to my wifes chagrin, we had an angry skull.

boned skull

The edible portion though as a bit more agreable

skin

I removed the tongue, I the removed the membrane and stuffed it back in the head.

tongue

I seasoned it with garlic, salt, pepper, and wrapped it in cheescloth and tied it up and let it rest in the fridge

wrapped porchetta de testa

I then unwrapped the cheescloth (3 days later) and retied it, and roasted on the grill for 8 hours at as low a temp as I could muster, (ballpark 200-300 deg farenheit)

baked

The skin is very crispy, I tried to render as much fat as I could at a low temp. The meat is tender and flavorfull, better than the head cheese, with awesome crispy skin.

No comments: