Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Shrimp stir fry - Date Night


Shrimp stir fry
Originally uploaded by chuborupert
For this week I stir fried some shrimp with noodles and vegetables

12 large shrimp (for two) peeled and the skins reserved
1 one small onion diced
about a cm knob of ginger
2 cloves of garlic
Olive oil
tablespoon of flour
soy sauce
oyster sauce
half of one chinese pork sausage
Very thin rice noodles
mong bean sprouts
handful of fresh basil

I set the noodles to soak for 5 min while I started the cooking

soaking noodles

I toasted the shrimp shells along with the flour till the shells turned pink and the flour dark brown.

shrimp shells

with the pan hot I added about a cup and a half of water, a dollop of oyster sauce and a shot of soy sauce and let it reduce by half. The broth becomes dark and slightly thick from the flour (but also the soy and oyster sauce). I then drained it setting the stock aside and discarding the shells.

In the same pan back to temperature I added olive oil and the onions and ginger with a pinch of salt.

onion and ginger

Then I added the sausage chopped in bits, the mong beans, and half the basil chopped. when the onion just began to brown I removed and set aside.

bean sprout onion and sausage

Again in the same pan I added the shrimp and drained noodles. (this may not be the best way to do this, as the noodles are difficult to toss, well at least in my pan, likely a wok would work much better)

Rice noodle

when the shrimp where about half done I deglazed with the shrimp stock and returned the vegetables to the pan. Most of the liquid either evaporates or gets sucked in by the noodles.
I served it with some fresh basil over top and Siracha on the side.

Shrimp stir fry

Turned out very good, cooked in about 40 minutes total prep and cook time.

No comments: